Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Catch-Up Time

I haven’t written a blog in forever.  Sorry about that.  This one will just be a mass update on everything that has happened since the last post, and a lot has happened.

First up, completed builds!

Colonel Stars and Stripes Ol’ Hickory of Justice from KickAss 2
colonel_stars_and_stripes_ol__hickory_of_justice_by_tn_scotsman-d68wozx

This was a lot of fun, and thanks to the fellows over at the RPF, I was able to get a lot of good details and ideas before the movie was out.  This started as an ax handle, but was too long.  I cut it down and then glued it back together.  The stars in the field of blue were masked off using foam star stickers from Jo Anns, and then red and white electrical tape to finish the handle.  I added a line of parachute chord under the tape just to improve the grip.

DSCN0958

My finished Stars and Stripes costume.

I also continued my Team Fortress 2 build kick.

 

demomans_grenade_launcher_by_tn_scotsman-d6abp9s

team_fortress_2_sniper_s_rifle_by_tn_scotsman-d6g80j2

I named the grenade launcher Brienne and the sniper rifle Shelia.

Brienne was for my Demoman cosplay, and Shelia was a commission for my friend’s Sniper cosplay.

demoman_by_tn_scotsman-d6ntz42

Around this same time, I was commissioned to build a 22 shot, double barreled pistol.

grace_by_tn_scotsman-d6d14n8

I named her Grace.

Grace then inspired me to build Mercy.  A quad barreled shotgun pistol.

quad_barreled_shot_gun_by_tn_scotsman-d6yffuk

Mercy will be a big part of my Post Apocalyptic Mad Hatter at DragonCon 2014.

I also really got into the anime Soul Eater, and have even caught up on the English translated manga of it as well.  As such, I needed a Dr. Stein cosplay.

dr__franken_stein_s_coat_and_shirt_by_tn_scotsman-d6r36su  death_scythe_from_soul_eater_by_tn_scotsman-d6r36t7 dr__franken_stein_s_bolt_by_tn_scotsman-d6r36sj

 stein_winding_up_by_tn_scotsman-d7epayp

One of my new favorite costumes to wear.

For the bolt, I used a hair band that I can wear under the wig, and then rare earth magnets to hold everything in place.  This also allows it to turn.

DragonCon 2013 happened, and I needed a Bioshock costume for my wife and myself.  None of the Infinite characters really appealed to me, but my wife came up with the idea of a female motorized patriot, so this happened.

martha_washington_patriot_by_tn_scotsman-d6nu1r4

And this,

motorized_patriot_by_tn_scotsman-d6ntz48

patriots_guarding_by_tn_scotsman-d6ntz4j

We marched in the parade in these and it was a blast.  Yes the barrels of the peppermills turned.  I’ve actually rebuilt one to make it lighter and more stable, and I’m working on the second.

Another friend of mine commissioned me to make her a set of classic Disney Maleficent horns. 

 DSCN1388

I sculpted the horns out of pink insulation foam, and again used a head band and rare earth magnets to hold everything in place.

I’ve been on a Deadmau5 kick lately.  I really like how everyone just comes up with an original spin to the standard Deadmau5 head.  So, I created Subject Delt@mau5, a Bioshock 2 Subject Delta inspired mau5 head.

subject_deltamau5_by_tn_scotsman-d7lp1cg

And a Ruckus Service Radio
ruckus_service_radio_by_tn_scotsman-d7lp1em

I’m making 4 more mau5 heads.  Two are commissions and two will be used at DragonCon by me and my wife.  This is one of the completed commission pieces.  They requested the ear and eyes to light up.

Deadmau5 Head 1 Collage

You can see a video of the LEDs in action over here.

I think that about catches up on everything that I have built since the last post.

Other happenings since the last post:

My Motorized Patriot won Fall Showcase Male over on Southern Cospitality, and then shortly after that, I was named Prop Builder of the year by Southern Cospitality.  Two massive highs in about a week.

Currently, I’m participating in the Days ‘Til DragonCon podcast series over on Word of the Nerd.  Its an awesome little series that follows nine cosplayers as we build and sew our way to DragonCon.  What’s it like to be a cosplayer?  Watch and find out!

As such, I’ve got my DragonCon 2014 line-up pretty well set this week.

Thursday Night – Kevin the Awesome Now with More Awesome and Less Fat
Friday Day – Dr. Stein
Friday Night – Post Apocalyptic Mad Hatter
Saturday Day – Peach Wilkins from Bioshock and marching in the parade again.
Saturday Night – DeadDaftMau5Punk
Sunday – Destro from G.I.Joe

I’ll try to post more as things go along, or at least not wait 9 months in between posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment